,

George Michael tribute concert faces cancellation as family ‘aren’t on board’

There is bad news for fans of George Michael wanting to re-live his music.

A proposed tribute concert for the legendary singer looks set to be axed, after concerns were raised by the star’s family.

A concert at London’s historic Royal Albert Hall has been proposed as a way to remember Michael’s full back catalogue.

Dame Esther Rantzen, a friend of the late star and founder of charity ChildLine, is aiming to arrange the event for this year.

However, family members are reportedly unhappy with the plans.

A source told the Daily Mirror that “make or break” talks are to be held this week in an attempt to broker a deal between event organisers, family members and record company bosses.

George Michael with boyfriend Fadi Fawaz

“The most important thing about organising this is that the family approve of everything,” the source said.

“Esther and the organisers didn’t want to jump the gun and start making arrangements before they had spoken with them.

“At the moment there is a big possibility it won’t happen because the family aren’t on board.

“The meeting will either make or break plans.”

The family had originally been against a tribute at the Grammy’s, saying that only Adele could perform the dedication.

It comes after fans wanting to pay their respects at his grave were dealt a blow.

The resting spot of the late legend, at Highgate Cemetery in north London, will not be open to fans.

The grave is positioned in a private area of the London resting place, and will not be accessible to the general public.

A tall barrier was placed around the gravestone after the singer’s funeral service on March 29, blocking the space from view.

His burial plot had been purchased years ago, and is next to his late mother.

Michael’s beloved mum, Lesley, died 20 years ago in 1997.

The star had always intended to be buried next to her, buying the burial plot ready for when the occasion came around.

His March funeral was attended only by close friends and family, with Geri Horner thought to have delivered the eulogy.

The Spice Girl also named her newborn son after the singer, who she called a close friend.

His boyfriend, Fadi Fawaz, was reportedly banned by from the wake, after the funeral service, by the star’s family.

Fawaz was seen racing to Highgate Cemetery shortly after 2pm to make the burial, and was the last to arrive.

According to MailOnline, he was walking in nearby Camden when he was told of the service.

It’s alleged reporter informed him of the funeral, prompting him to turn up swiftly.

However he left before the wake after the family reportedly refused to let him attend, forcing him to be taken away in a blacked out car before other guests.

Former bandmate Andrew Ridgely was among those at the wake, along with Spice Girl Geri Horner and model Kate Moss.

The Wham! singer’s previous boyfriend, Kenny Goss, attended both the burial and the wake.

The snub came as George Michael’s cousin made shocking claims about the late star’s boyfriends.

The Wham! singer’s 39-year-old cousin previously lashed out, saying the family “hate” Fadi Fawaz.

Mr Georgiou wrote on Facebook – in a post since deleted – that his ex-boyfriend Anselmo Feleppa, who died of complications from HIV AIDS in 1993, was the only true “love of his life”.

Since his death, dozens of people have opened up about the singer’s extraordinary generosity and anonymous philanthropy, donating millions to good causes without revealing his identity.

What do you think?

0 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Comments

Leave a Comment Please

Loading…

Comments

comments

Anglicans could consecrate anti-gay UK bishop without permission from Archbishop of Canterbury

Anna Friel set for first lesbian sex scene in two decades – and she’s terrified